Coffee has always been like a secret best friend in our life...no...it has been more like a love affair. We dream about it, can't live with out it, crave it and cry with out it. And times we hide how much we have to have it through the day. Its warm, cozy, creamy, bold and gets us going...it's perfection!
When I was 16 I worked in a shop selling America's Coffee Cup and fell hard in love and never looked back. With late nights working or Netflixing and early mornings (way before the sun comes up) coffee has become a ritual. A piece of peace and quiet in the morning and when that lovely mug is empty we are ready for the day. Then you have the mid afternoon jolt which with out it we would pass out in our kids beds at bedtime like a bear for the winter. Yes we know too much coffee is really bad and there are for sure days we have too much but all in moderation...right??
There are a lot of ways to enjoy your morning cup.... Drip, Espresso, Aero, Pour over, French Press, Cold Brew to name a few and which ever way you make it is perfect but I choose less fuss and go straight for the romantic, easy and time tested French Press while Mieke gets the loveliest cup of espresso made by her sweet hubby. (Side note...she has been known to buy a Kureig when her hubby was on tour because his coffee is so good she couldnt figure it out and couldnt live with out coffee)
But we wont bore you with how to make the perfect cup... there are no scales, thermometers, water pourers, or gadgets here (besides a good Burr grinder of course. Look it up) These are our new ways to enjoy your morning cup!
For you Bullet Proof lovers that are over or grossed out by drinking butter and animal bones (gelatin), we have a great and delicious way to drink your BP thats free of ghee, cholesterol, gelatin but filled with nutrients, good fats and CAFFEINE!
- Fresh coffee
- Nutmilk (homemade is best and seriously easy!)
- Nutiva Coconut Manna (it is FILLED with nutrients and amazing)
- Scoop 1 or 2Tbs of manna
- Pour hot coffee over and blend or stir
- Mix in milk...tada!
Here is more about the powerhouse that is Manna
We call this delicious puréed coconut butter "coconut manna" because if ever there was a food from heaven, this is it. An incredibly tasty, whole superfood made of pure, dried coconut flesh; you can enjoy it straight from the jar, or warm it up to spread the goodness! This tropical melt-in-your-mouth treat contains fiber, protein and nourishing fats.
An ideal "everything" spread that can replace cream, cream cheese and butter, you can also use it in smoothies, sauces, dressings, desserts and baked goods. Find delicious recipes and tips in the Nutiva Kitchen.
Non-hydrogenated (Zero trans fats!)
Made from fresh coconuts
Once a central part of the traditional Pacific Islander diet, luscious coconut is fast becoming a staple in modern healthy diets as well. Coconut contains lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid also found in human breast milk. Lauric acid makes up about 50% of coconut oil.
I just came across this recipe on Instagram and about passed out with how amazing it sounded. Black Sesame Latte. So I quickly ordered the paste on Amazon and it came today...black is the new black...
Black Sesame Latte
- 2 shots of espresso or strong coffee
- 1/2 cup steamed nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- 2 teaspoons black sesame paste (I got mine on Amazon)
- Blend all in a blender or with a frother
If you have been following us for a while you will know we LOVE us some turmeric but making traditional Golden Milk can take a lot of time so we are loving our favorite girl, Minimalist Baker, new quick Golden Milk recipe that we can make, store and pour into our morning cup of jo.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) light coconut milk (DIY Coconut Milk) (canned is best, but carton works too)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (see notes for fresh*)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon | I prefer the stick!)
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) coconut oil
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Sweetener of choice (i.e. maple syrup, coconut sugar, or stevia to taste)
- To a small saucepan, add coconut milk, almond milk, ground turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon stick, coconut oil, black pepper, and sweetener of choice (I usually add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup).
- Whisk to combine and warm over medium heat. Heat until hot to the touch but not boiling - about 4 minutes - whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor. Add more sweetener to taste or more turmeric or ginger for intense spice + flavor.
- Serve immediately, dividing between two glasses and leaving the cinnamon stick behind. Best when fresh, though leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave until hot.
If you are a purist but love a creamy cup do yourself a favor and make some cashew milk (its so easy its crazy) for your cup instead of cream or milk. Here is our favorite recipe from Vanilla & Bean
- 1 C Raw Cashews 160g
- 2 Medjool Dates pitted*
- 3 1/2 C Water** 798g
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon optional
- Soak the cashews in very hot water for 15 minutes (cashews can be soaked in room temperature water for two hours or overnight as well - whatever works for your schedule). Drain and rinse. Add cashews to the blender along with dates, water, salt, extract and cinnamon. Blend starting on low speed and increasing to high until smooth and frothy, about 40 seconds.
- Store in a lidded container for up to three days.
So how ever you do your coffee...do it but maybe branch out every once in a while and see how fun it can be.
PS... I NEED THIS!