Watermelon. (summers gift in recipe form)
Dare we say that watermelon is literally nature's gift to summer? Who doesn't want a cold slice of H2Omelon on a sweltering hot day? I am mildly allergic to melon and I can not get enough of the bright red magical guy! We are purists to say the least. Slice up a big baby melon and we will dive right in. But imagine our surprise when we saw a whole new way to eat it! (recipe below)
Before we continue let us just talk about the amazing benefits of this gorgeous piece of natures candy. (we are 1/4 cup of coffee in so we will put up an image instead of typing the benefits...aka sleepy)
Now that you love it AND know it's great for you here are our new favorite ways to enjoy this gorgeous beauty..one will surprise you!
(VEGAN) Ricotta, mint and watermelon salad-
YUMMMMM! We had this at our favorite restaurant and promptly ordered a second one! Its refreshing and light yet hardy and satisfying.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 8-pound seedless watermelon, scooped into balls with a melon baller or cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (10 cups), chilled
- 2 cups Kite Hill Ricotta Almond Cheese (you will freak out its SO good), crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco and pepper. Add the watermelon, feta, olives and onion and toss gently. Garnish with the mint and serve.
Watermelon Vodka Slush-
- 4 cups watermelon, seeded and cubed (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup vodka (we love Titos)
- 24 mint leaves, divided
- super-fine sugar (adjust if too sweet when using a naturally sweeter watermelon)
- 4 very thin lime slices, halved into half moons, divided
- Ice cubes
- Add the watermelon and the water to a blender, and puree until smooth. Divide the mint leaves, sugar and lime slices among 8 glasses and muddle the ingredients. Add ice to each glass and pour in the watermelon agua fresco. Stir and serve.
And for the one we can not wait to try... WATERMELON JERKY!!!!!!
- 1 whole watermelon
- kosher salt (optional)
- smoked salt (optional)
- chili-lime seasoning (optional)
- Quarter the watermelon. Slice into 1/4 inch thick sheets. Cut off the rind and slice each sheet into strips.
- Arrange the strips on a parchment paper-lined dehydrator tray. Sprinkle kosher salt, smoked salt or chili lime seasoning across the watermelon strips.
- Dehydrate the watermelon at 170 degrees for 10 – 12 hours. Allow to cool completely before removing from tray. Enjoy!
Happy Summer! Get your summer fruit on...
What's your favorite way to eat the delicious summer treat?