It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPER FOOD! Ok, now we get it...Quinoa has been on everyones radars for a bit...so by now we all know how incredible this grain is. But incase you don't, head here asap (cliff notes below)
After cooking, which is the typical preparation for eating, quinoa is 72% water, 21% carbohydrates, 4% protein and 2% fat and its nutrient contents are collectively and substantially reduced. In a 100 g (3.5 oz) serving, cooked quinoa provides 120 calories and is an excellent source of manganese and phosphorus (30% and 22% DV, respectively), and a moderate source (10-19% DV) of dietary fiber, folate, and the dietary minerals, iron, zinc and magnesium. It's also high in antioxidants, can help you lose weight, keep your blood sugar down and It's a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids, and offers the same energy and satiety you would get from meat, sans the fat or cholesterol. AND ITS GLUTEN FREE!
Quinoa is a really under used ingredient in daily life and it shouldn't be! You can use it just like rice but it's even more diverse and much more healthy and tasty. Sure, most people turn their nose at it or make fun of it (why we still can't figure out) but you shouldn't, because its really easy to incorporate into your daily life and recipes. You can just rinse and steam it like rice and voila...the magic begins! Here are our favorite and easy ways to use this super hero superfood.
Pancakes- YUP! My kids devour these and I love knowing they are packed with the superfood even when being drowned in Earths Balance and syrup
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup flour or gf flour if gluten free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large flax egg (1 tbs ground flax, 3 tbs water mix and microwave for 30 seconds)
- 1 tablespoon earths balance butter
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a medium bowl whisk quinoa, flour baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl whisk flask egg then add melted butter, milk and syrup and mix until smooth. Add to flour mixture and fold until combine
- Coat a nonstick pan or griddle in Earths Balance and turn heat to medium-high. Drop in batter by the spoonful and cool until golden brown on either side and cooked through.
- Top with syrup and yummmmm
In case you missed it, we LOVE making bowls and using quinoa steamed in vegetable broth is the best start to building an amazing bowl!
Click here for this healthy AND mouthwatering quinoa bowl recipe!
Fried Quinoa (Fried Rice's better half)- This fried rice inspired recipe is healthy, filling, delicious and incredibly easy.
I LOVE me some fried rice so when I started stir frying quinoa in place of rice my life changed! More protein, more flavor, better texture and MANY more antioxidants and amino acids?! Done...
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt to taste
- Add quinoa and salt to water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer, cover and steam for 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Whisk in small bowl and set aside
- Fried Quinoa:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in wide sided pan or wok and add garlic. Stir for 30 seconds. Add onion and carrots and cook until soft. Add in ginger and stir for 30 seconds. Add peas and heat through. When peas are heated add in cooked quinoa and sauce and stir fry for an additional 3 minutes.
Can't get enough Quinoa? Us too! Try a few of our favorite snacks where quinoa gets the spotlight it deserves
- Simply 7 Quinoa Chips- All the fun of a potato chip with none of the guilt!
- Alter Eco Quinoa Chocolate Bar- It's like a Hershey's Krackle bar but SOOO much better tasting, for you and for the environment!
- Trader Joes Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta- It literally is the PERFECT pasta
- I Heart Keenwah chocolate puffs- Be careful! We opened this bag and these disappeared instantly! They sent us these to share with our families and oops! They were so good. Too good!
What's your favorite way to use this superfood??
This post was inspired by (BUT NOT SPONSORED BY) an amazing box that I Heart Keenwah sent us. We tried all of the goodies they sent and their toasted quinoa was INCREDIBLE. We even made "cheezy" grits with their quinoa cereal that my hubby immediately snuck it upstairs and licked the bowl clean. Thank you I Heart Keenwah for renewing our LOVE for this incredible grain.