Random bites! (plant based, gluten free and AHHHMAZING)
Ever been in that place in life where you survive on coffee, kisses and random foods? The kind of meals that make even a shmorgasbourg look like a thought out 4 course meal? Yeah us too. Those days where your kids left overs become your feast..ie left over crusts, broccoli stumps and rice bits... We got you.
Here are our favorite fast and easy dishes to make that everyone loves and the kids left overs (if there are any) are a welcome plate of nourishment.
When our favorite food (and political), mom friend guru, gives you a recipe you take it, make it and devour it. When she gave us this recipe for chickpeas cooked in tomato paste and said "It's like healthy spaghettios" so obviously we were immediately sold. We have made this almost everyday since then and we will continue to do so until our family and friends get sick of it which doesn't seem likely.
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3 tablespoons good tomato paste
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup uncooked gf pasta (or another small shape, like macaroni)- I don't use pasta in mine
2 cups boiling water
Crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until it becomes lightly browned and fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste and salt and fry for 30 seconds or so. Add the chickpeas, pasta, and boiling water. Stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot, lower the heat, and simmer until the pasta is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. To serve, ladle the pasta into shallow bowls, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, and drizzle a bit of extra-virgin olive oil on top.
Like most kids (and ourselves) we could live off of french fries...seriously who couldn't? Maybe because I am evil or maybe because I care (possibly both?) I decided to curb the french fry intake and replace it with carrot fries. Healthy, fast and yummy... IN!
1 tablespoon oil
¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese from Follow Your Heart (or omit all together)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried because seriously who has parsley on hand?!)
½ teaspoon course salt
Dipping Sauce like any of Just Mayo sauces...
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200˚C.
2. Slice the top and bottom off of carrots then slice them in half, slice each half into thirds lengthwise.
3. In a large bowl, mix ingredients with carrot sticks.
4. Spread on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on how crispy you want them).
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Fast, healthy, filling and delicious. We got you...and them!
xoxo Erin & Mieke