People often ask us if we miss cheese since we eat plant based/vegan diets and you know what? Not one bit! No seriously...as a full fledged cheese-oholic...I'm talking taking a block of sharp cheddar a night with crackers and apples and devouring every inch of it cheese lover....I don't miss the diary version one bit since I became vegan. There are so so many non-dairy cheeses on the market now (some we order and some we can just grab on the go) that we have no chance to miss dairy (fat filled, hormone heavy, unhealthy, and other horrible things) cheese.
We often buy cheese from Kite Hill, Miyokos and Follow Your Heart but on those days we don't get to a store or just need to whip some up we have our go to recipes that are insanely delicious, healthy (vitamin and protein packed) and easy. Best part? The kids (and us) DEVOUR them!
The first is from Chocolate Covered Katie. Her white bean based cheese sauce is insanity. We made it for dinner one night and poured it all over broccoli and potatoes...plates and fingers were licked and bellies and bodies were happy.
WHITE BEAN CHEESE SAUCE/DIP
- 1 cup cooked white beans, such as cannelini
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, preferably unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cheese shreds, such as Daiya vegan, OR 5 tbsp nutritional yeast (I add more nooch and omit the shreds to make it healthier)
- salt - I like 1/2 tsp
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- If using nutritional yeast, add 1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar (can be omitted)
- optional 2 tsp buttery spread or olive oil – I really like the rich depth of flavor this adds, especially if not using the cheese version
- optional pinch turmeric, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- Pour ingredients into blender or cuisinart and get to eating!
Coco decided she wanted cashew cream cheese but we were out so she picked up her favorite kids cookbook by Ruby Roth (purchase it here) and made her own. I was a bit hesitant to try it but ended up eating the entire bowl before it made it to the fridge.
CASHEW CREAM CHEESE
- 1 heaping cup of raw cashews soaked at least 2 hours
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (i add more)
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- rinse cashews and put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth. Add more juice or water to taste. voila!
Last but not least is the famous cashew cheese sauce from PPK. Every New Years day we make NYN (New Years Nachos), invite our hung over friends over and we sit around eating mounds of Nachos. But even when we are not in the mood to eat nachos (lets be real, we are ALWAYS in the mood) we make this cheese sauce based from Cashews. It is so easy and fast it's crazy! Friends beg for the recipe!
CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE
1 cup unroasted cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours, drained
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons mellow white miso
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt to taste
Blend in a blender for 2-3 min...voila!!!!!
Don't be cheesy...try plant based cheese! It's healthier, better for the planet, the future, the animals and not addictive (well it is because it's so delicious, but not physically like dairy cheese). It's filled with fiber, proteins, good fats, vitamins and minerals...delicious and good for you...Have your cheese and eat it too!