That bright golden orange color, the warm yet odd spice scent....turmeric. It could be natures most prized spice (Is it a spice? I don't really know how to classify it). Used as medicine, flavoring, and dye this all in one little root has really taken up a huge place in our hearts.
It all started on a trip to a cafe a few years back when I had a drink called I am Golden. A coffee-less golden latte. It was divine...warm, sweet, satisfying and oddly addicting. I was hooked...I ran home and looked it up. The golden color of the drink was from turmeric powder and on I read. Turmeric is a cure all...a powerhouse of the kitchen. And this drink was the perfect vehicle for the funny smelling root. My obsession was beginning.
Turmerics health benefits are just amazing. Here is a list of things it was help from WebMD
Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), joint pain, stomach pain, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, bypass surgery, hemorrhage, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, stomach ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gallbladder disorders, high cholesterol, a skin condition called lichen planus, skin inflammation from radiationtreatment, and fatigue.
It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, itchy skin, recovery after surgery, and cancers. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer's disease, swelling in the middle layer of the eye (anterior uveitis), diabetes, water retention, worms, an autoimmune disease called systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), tuberculosis, urinary bladder inflammation, and kidney problems.
Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, sprains and swellings, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, acne, inflammatory skin conditions and skin sores, soreness inside of the mouth, infected wounds, and gum disease.
Now for the real deal...my 3 favorite ways to use turmeric inside and out.
1. Golden Milk Ice Cream- Thanks to our goddess of all things amazing, Minimalist Baker, we are addicted to this dessert
2. Brightening face mask
Take 1 tablespoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon lemon, 1 tablespoon pure nut milk (fresh with no chemical ingredients), 1 tablespoon coconut oil or coconut butter (oh yes) Mix in a bowl and smooth on your skin. Leave on for 10-20 min and wash off with warm water. Moisturize well after since the lemon can be slightly drying. Be sure to wear dark clothing as turmeric will stain.
And for the thing you have been waiting for....the TURMERIC LATTE!!!!!!!!!
3. Turmeric Latte- Recipe adapted from Mama Natural
- 1 teaspoon turmeric paste (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup nut milk
- 1 cup of your favorite coffee
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (or oil)
Throw in a blender or just stir briskly and enjoy!
Turmeric Paste- Making a paste makes your daily obsession easy and fast. You can store in the fridge for months but it won't last that long.
- 1/2 cup organic turmeric (make sure it's organic and high quality)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper (weird right? you need it in there and you can't taste it. it also helps the turmeric absorb)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 6 tablespoons grade A maple syrup or Agave
- Combine all the ingredients for the turmeric paste in a saucepan—except for the sweetener—and heat over medium heat, whisking frequently. Once the mixture begins to boil, whisk constantly and let it boil for 10 minutes. Boiling it is crucial to getting a smooth end result and reducing the bitter flavor of the turmeric.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes, until it’s cool enough to touch. The mixture may have separated a little, but that’s OK. Add the sweetener, and whisk vigorously to combine. The sweetener helps to emulsify the mixture, and gives the paste a lovely taste.
- Store your turmeric paste in a glass jar. The mixture should last for several months in the fridge.
Do yourself a favor and grab some of this spice. Your mouth and body will thank you!